Sexual morality is one of the most discussed yet often misunderstood aspects of the Bible.
Now, renowned New Testament scholar Fr. Raymond F. Collins provides you with an overview of just about everything that the New Testament has to say about sexual responsibility and ethics. In this 12-lecture audio course, you will come to understand some of the most controversial and complex topics in the Bible, encountering a diverse range of topics we’ve all had questions about in well-known and overlooked passages alike.
You will begin by examining the letters of Paul, which echoed a Jewish perspective for the achievement of holiness under the influence of God’s gift of the Holy Spirit. These letters address issues that ordinary people confront in their daily lives, and you will consider Paul’s famous saying, “It is well for a man not to touch a woman.” For centuries, this passage was seriously misunderstood, leading to a distortion of Paul’s views on human sexuality.
Next, you will examine Jesus’ sayings on sexual ethics, such as His commentaries in Mark 7:21 and 9:42-48 and his teaching on the Sixth Commandment at the Sermon on the Mount. You will then look at the story of Jesus’ encounter with the sinful woman and at the interpretation of Sodom and Gomorrah in the New Testament. Finally, you will conclude with the Christian view on marriage as found in Ephesians.
With Fr. Collins’s guidance, you will gain a clear understanding of some of the most frequently debated topics in the Bible.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Fr. Raymond F. Collins, S.T.D., is a renowned expert on the New Testament and a visiting scholar in the Department of Religious Studies at Brown University. The former dean of the School of Religious Studies and professor of New Testament at The Catholic University of America, he has also served as a member of the faculty of theology at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium, where he was chair of the Programs in English, long-time editor of Louvain Studies, and rector of the American College. Fr. Collins earned his licentiate and doctoral degrees in Sacred Theology from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
He is the author and/or editor of twenty books on the New Testament, including An Introduction to the New Testament (1983) and major commentaries on First Corinthians (Sacra Pagina, 1999), 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus (New Testament Library, 2002), and Second Corinthians (Paideia, 2013). An associate editor of The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, Fr. Collins has contributed to The Encyclopedia of Religion, The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, The Encyclopedia of Religion, The Encyclopedia of Catholicism, The Anchor Bible Dictionary, and The New Interpreters’ Dictionary of the Bible. He has written more than two hundred articles for scholarly and pastoral journals.
Praise for Raymond Collins
“Fr. Ray Collins is one of the finest New Testament scholars in the English-speaking world. . . . Fr. Collins uses an easy and understandable style."
– Fr. John Ludwig
“Father Collins’ superb scholarship shines through his accessible, lively and engaging lectures. As a parish director of adult education, I find them extremely helpful. They bring to life the New Testament writings in the context of the early Christian communities, allowing the viewer to better appreciate the relevance of these writings for today.”
– Fátima Lee, Ph.D., Lay Pastoral Associate
“Not only a world class New Testament scholar and a prolific author of over fifteen books and three hundred articles, Fr. Raymond F. Collins is also a dynamic educator who makes complex ideas interesting and accessible to the non-expert. For good reason, he has been invited to conduct seminars, workshops and retreats around the world. If you are interested in solid, sound and erudite Biblical interpretation, look no further.”
– Edward Sirois, Chair, Religious Studies, La Salle Academy
- Paul’s Advice for New Christians: Sanctification and Sexuality (1 Thess 4:3-8)
- Something Unheard of Among Gentiles (1 Corinthians 5:1-13; 6:12-20)
- “It Is Well for a Man Not to Touch a Woman” (1 Corinthians 7)
- The Sinfulness of Gentiles: Homosexuality, a Case in Point (Romans 1:18-32)
- Realities That Defile a Person (Mark 7:20-23)
- Jesus Teaches the 10 Commandments (Matthew 5)
- Jesus’ Teaching on Divorce
- The Problematic Sayings: A Stumbling Block (Mark 9:42-49)
- Jesus Meets Sinful Women (Luke 7:36-50; John 7:53-8:11)
- Under the Influence of Paul
- Rethinking the Story of Sodom and Gomorrah (Jude and 2 Peter 2)
- A Believer’s View of Marriage (Ephesians 5:21-33)