Let the greatest prayer book ever compiled guide your life.
Under the guidance of one of the leading Old Testament scholars, you will explore the many paths of prayer created for us by the psalmists’ divinely inspired brilliance. Of all the Old Testament, the Book of Psalms may be the part most familiar to us. Now you can explore and learn about these treasures with one of our most popular presenters, Scripture scholar Fr. Michael Guinan, O.F.M., Ph.D.
Enter into the ancient world of the psalms in this essential audio course. You will explore the literary forms of the psalms, especially praise and lament. You will learn how the New Testament writers and early Christians used the psalms. The psalms have their origin in the worship and prayer of ancient Israel, and now you too can discover the psalms as models and guides for your life of prayer.
The Psalms “constitute the masterwork of prayer in the Old Testament. They present two inseparable qualities: the personal, and the communal. Prayed and fulfilled in Christ, the Psalms are an essential and permanent element of the prayer of the Church. They are suitable for people of every condition and time” (CCC #2596-2597).
This course will help you enter more fully and personally into this great collection of inspired prayer.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Michael D. Guinan, O.F.M (Ph.D., Catholic University of America) is a Franciscan priest and a Professor Emeritus at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, Ca. He has published 10 books, several pamphlets and many articles in publications such as The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, The Collegeville Bible Commentary, and The Message of Biblical Spirituality series. He has taught the Old Testament, Hebrew and Aramaic languages, and biblical spirituality at St. Bonaventure University, St. Patrick's Seminary and the Franciscan Seminary in Manila.
Praise for Michael Guinan
“I first attended a lecture by Father Guinan about 20 years ago and immediately recognized him as a great teacher. .He brings top-notch scholarship, excellent delivery, and a strong pastoral sense to every project. Teaching in the Philippines has given him a very broad vision.”
– Father Pat McCloskey, O.F.M., “Ask a Franciscan” columnist for St. Anthony Messenger
“Fr. Michael Guinan is a great communicator and one of those teachers who is able to assimilate a lot of material… and communicate it all in a concise, clear, and often humorous way. It is no wonder that he is a very popular teacher in the NYKM series.”
– Fr. Robert J. Karris, O.F.M., Research Professor, Franciscan Institute, St. Bonaventure University
- The Psalms: Introduction
- The Psalms: Poetry and Anthropology
- Theology of the Psalms: Yahweh is King
- Theology: Royal Psalms
- Theology: Creation and Zion Psalms
- Theology: Torah/Wisdom Psalms
- Forms: Praise
- Forms: Lament, Part I
- Forms: Lament, Part II
- The Canonical Book of Psalms
- Psalms, the New Testament and Christian Usage
- The Psalms: Worship and Prayer