“The Holy Spirit gives us joy. And He is joy.”
- Pope Benedict XVI, Christmas Address to the Roman Curia, 2008
Jesus' disciples, who had previously cowered with fear, were set afire by the power of the Holy Spirit to spread the Good News. Find out why.
This special lecture course, by former Catholic Biblical Association president Fr. George Montague, will introduce you to the Spirit anew. Join him for a walk through scripture in which you will encounter Old Testament images relating to the Spirit. See how the Gospel of Mark anchors the Spirit in Jesus’s baptism. You’ll explore the central role the Spirit plays in Luke and Acts.
Learn more fully the true meaning of Pentecost and understand the early Trinitarian formula as set form by Matthew.
Paul’s rich theology of the Holy Spirit is vital to his mission. See how the Holy Spirit, as described by Paul, is the source of ongoing spiritual transformation in the Church and the lives of individual Christians.
Finally, you will see how in Revelation, the Holy Spirit is a river of life-giving water flowing from the throne of the Lamb.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Fr. Montague is a Marianist priest recognized internationally for his twenty books on spirituality, theology, and scripture, including The Holy Spirit: Growth of a Biblical Tradition and Holy Spirit and Make Your Home in Me: Biblical Meditations on Receiving the Gift of the Spirit.
Fr. Montague is a former president of the Catholic Biblical Association of America and has served as editor of the Catholic Biblical Quarterly. A highly regarded speaker and teacher, he is professor of Theology at St. Mary's University in San Antonio, Texas.
- Introduction to the Series and the Holy Spirit in the Gospel of Mark
- The Holy Spirit in Luke-Acts: Part I
- The Holy Spirit in Luke-Acts: Part II
- The Holy Spirit in Acts 3-28
- The Holy Spirit in the Gospel of Matthew
- The Holy Spirit in Paul: Part I
- The Holy Spirit in Paul: Part II
- The Holy Spirit in Paul: Part III
- The Holy Spirit in Paul: Part IV
- The Holy Spirit in the Gospel of John: Part I
- The Holy Spirit in the Gospel of John: Part II
- The Holy Spirit in the Pastorals, Hebrews, 1 Peter and the Apocalypse