Join one of the country’s leading spirituality professors in exploring more than 2,000 years of our spiritual history.
In The History of Christian Spirituality, you will discover the marvelous gifts bestowed by our spiritual ancestors. These 36 lively, enlightening lectures will take you on a journey from the Age of the Apostles to our current day. Along the way, you’ll meet the greatest spiritual figures of our tradition, exploring the wisdom of the Church Fathers, experiencing the mystical visions of St. Catherine of Siena and St. John of the Cross, encountering the towering works of St. Augustine, and much more.
As you explore the major themes that have shaped the hearts and minds of countless believers, you will discover the full richness and beauty of the Christian spiritual tradition. Too often the treasures of our tradition have not been passed along from one generation to the next. Now, you can meet the inspiring men and women who have gone before you on the spiritual journey.
You will encounter the many paths to God that have unfolded in the history of Christian spirituality. Let the spiritual writers and our compelling history speak to your heart and empower you to carry their torch into the twenty-first century. Our spiritual tradition and its practices are more relevant now than ever.
Embark on this journey and enrich your spiritual life today.
Learn about downloadable programs.
* Due to the large file size, high-speed internet is recommended for this download.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Learn More About This Professor
Fr. Anthony Ciorra is a leading expert on Christian spirituality. He has graduate degrees in psychology, spirituality, and pastoral theology, a Ph.D. in Historical Theology from Fordham University, and a Certificate in Spiritual Direction. Fr. Ciorra is the author of Everyday Mysticism (Crossroad 1995) and has produced several Now You Know Media programs, including The History of Christian Spirituality, The Spirituality of the Twelve Steps for Everyone, and Thomas Merton: A Spiritual Guide for the Twenty-First Century. In recognition of his ministry in the Church, Pope John Paul II gave him the pontifical honor Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice in 1999. He was awarded the Caritas Centennial Award in 2000 for his work in lay ministry and the Spirit of RENEW Award for his work in interreligious dialogue and ecumenism.
Fr. Ciorra’s experience has included parish life, teaching, administration, retreat work, preaching, and formation ministries. He is currently Assistant Vice President for Mission and Catholic Identity at Sacred Heart University. Previously he was dean of the Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education at Fordham University, director of the Center for Theological and Spiritual Development at the College of St. Elizabeth, an...
- Introduction to the History of Spirituality
- Methods, Issues, Suggestions and Definitions
- An Overview and Sweep of Christian Spirituality from the First Century through the Twentieth Century
- Our Jewish Roots
- The Vision and the Message of Jesus Christ
- An Introduction to the Patristic Period
- The First Christian Generations
- The Giants of the Second and Third Centuries: Irenaeus, Clement and Origen
- The Writings of Clement of Alexandria and Origen
- The Monastic Movement
- The Desert
- The Fourth Century: The Cappadocian Fathers: St. Basil, St. Gregory Nazianzen and St. Gregory of Nyssa
- Some Concluding Reflections and Comments on the Spiritual Movements from the Monastic Traditions of the Early Centuries
- The Golden Age: St. Ambrose, St. Jerome and St. Augustine
- St. Augustine
- Our Hearts Are Restless Until They Rest in You, Oh God
- Endings and Beginnings
- The Middle Ages
- The High Middle Ages: 1100-1300
- The Schoolmen of the Twelfth Century
- The Thirteenth Century: The Century of the Friars
- The Canticle of Brother Sun
- St. Bonaventure and St. Dominic
- The Late Middle Ages: 1300-1500
- The Rhineland Mystics
- Delving Deeply into the Rhineland Mystics
- Meister Eckhart
- The English Mystics
- Julian of Norwich
- The Cloud of Unknowing
- The Fifteenth Century and the Devotio Moderna
- Introduction to the Modern Period and to St. Ignatius of Loyola
- St. Teresa of Ávila and St. John of the Cross
- Developments in Modern Spirituality as a Gateway into the 21st Century
- The 21st Century: Where do We Go from Here?