What is faith?
The answer to this question might seem obvious: believing in the existence of God. A better response, however, is more multi-dimensional and nuanced than that.
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has emphasized the need for faith, calling to “the need to rediscover the journey of faith so as to shed ever clearer light on the joy and renewed enthusiasm of the encounter with Christ.” Now, you are invited to rediscover the power of our Christian faith with scripture expert Fr. Felix Just, S.J.
For Christians, “faith” involves both what we believe and whom we believe (God the Father and Jesus Christ, in whom we place our trust). Thus, faith is not only something we can learn and teach, but more importantly something that we must put into practice and action—in worship, ethical living, charity, and prayer.
We will begin by considering the various meanings of faith and believing. After exploring the biblical foundations of faith, we will survey how the Church further defined and lived the Christian faith over the past 2000 years, especially in its councils, creeds, and catechisms. Finally, we will consider how growing in faith is a lifelong process, both in continued learning about our faith and in ever deepening our trusting relationship with God.
Embark on this remarkable journey through our Christian faith and grow stronger in your relationship with God today.
Cover Art: "Celebration," by John August Swanson. Copyright © 1997. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Fr. Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D., is Executive Director of the Loyola Institute for Spirituality in Orange, California. After receiving his Doctorate in New Testament Studies from Yale University, he taught at Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles), the University of San Francisco, and Santa Clara University. He was also director of the Center for Religion and Spirituality at LMU, and dean of the Lay Ecclesial Ministry and Deacon Formation Programs for the Diocese of Las Vegas. He regularly teaches courses, gives public lectures, and leads biblically-based days of prayer, parish missions, and weekend or weeklong retreats. He maintains a large internationally recognized website of “Catholic Resources” (catholic-resources.org
- Introduction: What Is “Faith”?
- Old Testament: Foundations of Faith
- Synoptic Gospels: Faith as Trust
- Gospel of John: Believing for Eternal Life
- Acts and Paul: Faith as God's Gift
- Epistle of James: Faith and Works
- Hebrews: Role Models for Faith
- Early Christian Creeds: Faith Professed
- Ecumenical Councils: Faith Defined
- Second Vatican Council: Faith Renewed
- Catechism: Compendium of Christian Faith
- Growing in Faith: A Lifelong Process