What was the significance of Pope John Paul II’s visit to Greece, the first such papal visit in 1291 years? Why are intelligent Westerners so fascinated in learning about the Orthodox Church, the world’s 2nd largest Christian Community?
Explore the fascinating history, theology and practices that 250 million Orthodox Christians claim as their own, and discover the differences and similarities between Orthodoxy and Catholicism with this incredible series.
The Orthodox Church is the second largest Christian community in the world after the Roman Catholic Church. In this exceptionally well-taught audio course, you will explore the rich history, theology, liturgy and traditions of Orthodoxy. You will have many “aha” moments as you recognize the differences and similarities we share with Eastern Christianity. This series covers the entire odyssey of an ancient church and its faith into the present day. Whether your interests lie in history, theology, ecumenism or esthetics, you will find this course clear, enjoyable and hugely interesting.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
A Professor of Systematic Theology and Director of Institutional Assesment at Saint Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, Dr. Bouteneff has been lecturing and teaching about Orthodox Christianity for much of his adult life.
After he earned his undergraduate degree in music, he received his M.Div. from St Vladimir's Seminary, and a doctorate and M. Phil. from Oxford University, where he studied under Bishop Kallistos Ware. He has worked for many years in theological dialogue, notably as Executive Secretary for Faith and Order at the World Council of Churches, and has written extensively on Orthodox theology and Orthodox relations with other churches.
His theological interests include Christ, the Church, and the Human Person, as well as religion and popular culture. He conceived of and edits the "Foundations" series for SVS Press, to which he has contributed a widely popular volume called Sweeter than Honey: Orthodox Thinking on Dogma and Truth. He is also the author of Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives.
- How and Why We Think Theologically
- Councils and Conciliarity
- Ecumenical Councils (325 A.D. to 787 A.D.)
- The Church Fathers
- Jesus Christ
- The Holy Trinity
- The Holy Spirit
- The Human Person
- The Church
- "Eastern" and "Western" Christianity
- Orthodoxy: The Best Kept Secret in America?