This course will give you deep insight into the mind and pastoral program of His Holiness Benedict XVI, this most learned of popes.
Fr. Burgaleta has included what he considers to be Benedict’s most important contributions to date as a theologian and preacher.
In particular, this program will focus on the classic topics of theology as Benedict himself has done both before and after assuming the Chair of Peter: faith, God, Christology, the Church, the liturgy, the word of God and the preaching and spirituality that flow from it, as well as Catholic social teaching. Each session covering these topics is accompanied by an outline and some reflection questions that we hope will be helpful in focusing your study of Benedict’s thought.
A selected bibliography of primary and secondary works is also provided for those who may wish to, in the words of St. Augustine, Benedict’s favorite theologian, Tolle lege – take up his works and read. We begin our study of Pope Benedict XVI by understanding the context that produced this great figure, the ideas that shaped him, and the events that impacted on his personal life and professional career. Finally, we will conclude with a review of the beginning of his pontificate including predictions of what we can expect from this most brilliant and surprising successor of Peter.
His Holiness Benedict XVI is without question one of the great theological minds of the second-half of the 20th century and beyond. You will find this course fascinating and compelling.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Father Claudio M. Burgaleta, S.J. is Associate Professor of Theology at the Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education (GSRRE) of Fordham University. He is currently serving as academic mentor for several students on their thesis projects, including one entitled, "The Aesthetics of Pope Benedict XVI: Ever Ancient, Ever New". In 1980 he entered the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) at St. Andrew Hall, Syracuse, N.Y., and was ordained a Roman Catholic priest in 1992. He obtained a Ph.D. in Historical and Systematic Theology from Boston College in 1996. Fr. Burgaleta's most current publication is an introduction to Christology in Spanish (Liguori, 2010).
- Introduction & Bededict XVI’s Early Years
- Benedict at Vatican II and Beyond
- Benedict on Christian Faith
- Benedict on God
- Benedict on Jesus Christ
- Benedict on the Church
- Benedict and the Word of God
- Benedict and a Word-Centered Spirituality
- Benedict the Preacher
- Benedict on the Liturgy
- Benedict and Catholic Social Teaching
- Conclusion: Benedict’s First Five Years as Pope