Take an unforgettable journey through the Bible’s great stories with modern spiritual master, Fr. Howard Gray, S.J., as your guide.
For as long as humans have been around, we have found comfort in stories. In Great Biblical Stories: A Narrative Journey with Howard Gray, you will discover newfound theological and spiritual meaning in the Bible’s great stories. By looking at the stories God uses in the Bible and developing an informed approach to the literature of faith, you will come to know Him more personally.
Under the guidance of Fr. Howard Gray, S.J., you will discover God as both a dynamic actor in the human narrative and a witty and loving teller of tales. A masterful speaker on spirituality, Fr. Gray explores how Jesus’ storytelling technique connects to the stories in each of our own lives.
In this 12-lecture program, you will first look at the four Old Testament stories of Jonah, Ruth and Naomi, Elijah, and Jacob. In these narratives, you will discover the richness of God’s mercy and forgiveness, His hopes for the human family, and the ways He works towards peace and reconciliation.
Next, you will look at Jesus as a central figure of the Gospel narratives and as a storyteller in His ministry, exploring His call, compassion, relationship to women, hospitality, and prayer. After looking at how the Spirit inspired the Church to become a Church for all peoples, you will consider God as a storyteller, exploring the ways you can become His partner in this theology of story.
If you love stories and want to deepen your understanding of your own Christian heritage, you will treasure the beautiful insights of this course.
*This course was previously titled Every Life Has a Story: Hospitality, Suffering, Friendship, Hope.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Howard Gray, S.J., is presently the Assistant to the President for Special Projects at Georgetown University. Prior to this position, he has served in a number of leadership positions within the Jesuit community, including Provincial Superior, Formation Director, Tertian Director and Rector of university and formation houses. He has lectured nationally and internationally on Ignatian spirituality. His has written extensively on Ignatian spirituality, ministry and the apostolic mission of Jesuit high school and universities. He is a well-known director of Ignatian retreats in the USA, East Africa and East Asia. He earned a bachelor's degree in English and classics, a licentiate in philosophy and a licentiate in sacred theology from Loyola University of Chicago, and a doctorate in English from the University of Wisconsin.Fr. Gray has received five honorary degrees, the Georgetown Bi-Centennial Medal, the Jesuit Volunteer Corps Award and the Xavier University's Leadership Medallion. He served as the Vice President of the Major Superiors of Men from 1985-1988 and on the Papal Visitation of Seminaries in the U.S. from 1981-1987.
- Stories from God: Jonah and Divine Wit
- Stories from God: The Book of Ruth as a Love Story
- Stories from God: Elisha and Being a Magician for Peace
- Stories from God: Jacob and God’s Pedagogy
- Stories about Call: Jesus and his Call
- Stories about God: Jesus and the Compassion of God
- Stories about God: Jesus and Women
- Stories about God: Jesus and Hospitality
- Stories about God: Jesus and Prayer
- Stories about God: Creating the Church
- Stories about God: God as Narrator
- Stories about God: Becoming God’s Partner