Join award-winning professor and world-renowned theologian Fr. John Baldovin, S.J., in exploring the fascinating liturgical seasons.
Lent, Holy Week, and Easter commemorate the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ. These 13 weeks are fundamental to the liturgical year, and they are a time of vital importance to Catholics. During this time of sacrifice and solemnity, we are called to reflect on the presence of Christ in our lives.
Now, you are invited to join one of the world’s leading liturgical scholars on this fascinating look at the vital seasons of Lent and Easter. Through 12 audio or video lectures, you will discover the history, development, and practices in these holy seasons.
First, you will look at the history of Lent. You will look at its origins, tracing how we have come to celebrate it as a 40-day season. After looking at the practices and spiritual meaning of Lent, you will then look at Palm Sunday and Holy Week, paying special attention to the Triduum (Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday). Finally, you will learn about the 50-day season of Easter, including the Sundays of Ascension and Pentecost.
Discover the significance of Lent, Holy Week, and Easter today.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
John F. Baldovin, S.J. has been teaching in university and seminary settings for the past 28 years. He is currently Professor of Historical and Liturgical Theology at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. He has taught at Fordham University and the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley. Fr. Baldovin worked with the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) from 1994-2002. He is past president of the North American Academy of Liturgy and the international ecumenical Societas Liturgica. He is currently president of the International Jungmann Society for Jesuits and the Liturgy.
His most recent books are Bread of Life, Cup of Salvation: Understanding the Mass (Rowman and Littlefield, 2003) and Reforming the Liturgy: A Response to the Critics (Liturgical Press, 2008).
- Introduction and a History of the Season of Lent
- The Sundays of Lent
- The Weekdays of Lent
- The Spiritual Meaning of Lent
- Palm Sunday and Holy Week
- The Great Triduum of Easter: Holy Thursday
- The Sacred Triduum: Good Friday
- The Great Vigil of Easter, Part I
- The Great Vigil of Easter, Part II
- Easter Sunday
- The Great Fifty Days of Easter
- Ascension and Pentecost