Taught by one of Catholicism’s great professors, this course will help you live a better life.
Fr. Dennis Billy holds three doctorate degrees and has published forty books, but his humble approach to teaching and quiet wisdom will make him one of your favorite professors. This is much more than just a theology and philosophy course: it’s an invitation to grow and deepen your friendship with God.
Central to the work of Aristotle and other great philosophers, the “good life” is one of the most fundamental aspects of humanity’s search for meaning. Now, you can explore the good life in the Catholic tradition. By reflecting upon the good life, you’ll deepen your friendship with God, strengthen your relationships with others, and find greater personal purpose.
After exploring how the Trinity imbues life with meaning, you’ll reflect upon conscience and how it helps us discern between good and evil. You’ll also turn to scripture, learning how the Ten Commandments and Beatitudes provide blueprints for the good life.
Following an in-depth study of the cardinal and theological virtues, you’ll see how prayer can help you overcome evil and how living in the Spirit leads to happiness. Finally, you’ll explore the threefold path of purgation, illumination, and transforming union.
The Good Life: A Course on Moral Theology will inspire and guide you. Begin this essential journey today.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Learn More About This Professor
Rev. Dennis J. Billy, C.Ss.R., D.Theol., S.T.D., D.Min., holds an A.B. in English Literature from Dartmouth College, and M.R.E. and M.Div. degrees from Mt. St. Alphonsus Seminary. After his seminary training, he went on to earn a Doctor of Theology in Church History from Harvard University Divinity School, a Doctor of Sacred Theology in Spirituality from the Pontifical University of St. Thomas, a D.Min. in Spiritual Direction from the Graduate Theological Foundation, an M.A. in Medieval History from the University of Toronto, and an M.M.R.Sc. in Moral Theology from the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium. From 1988–2008, Fr. Billy was Professor of the History of Moral Theology and Christian Spirituality at the Alphonsian Academy of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome. From 2008–2016, he was scholar-in-residence, professor, and holder of the John Cardinal Krol Chair of Moral Theology at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary.
He has authored or edited over 40 books and published over 300 articles in a variety of scholarly and popular journals, and his writing has been honored by the Catholic Press Association. An American Redemptorist of the Baltimore Province, he is active in retreat work and in the ministry of spiritual direction.
- Introduction to the Good Life
- The Good in the Catholic Tradition
- What is Happiness? Friendship with God
- Conscience and Natural Law
- Commandments of God
- Freedom and Grace: Living Gospel Values
- The Theological Virtues
- The Cardinal Virtues
- The Law of Grace and the Law of Prayer
- Life in the Spirit: Indwelling, Gifts, Fruits
- The Beatitudes: The Attitudes of the Kingdom
- Visio Dei: Our Journey Home