Take an insightful approach to Scripture with a leading New Testament scholar as your guide.
This series explores the Bible through the fascinating lens of feminism. How can feminist methods help you better understand Scripture? What do these methods entail, and why are they important to both men and women?
You will answer these questions with a variety of examples from both the Old and New Testaments. Along the way, award-winning professor Sr. Barbara Reid will teach you different ways to approach the Scriptures from a feminist perspective. In doing so, you will uncover new outlooks that enable a richer understanding of Scripture and spiritual flourishing.
In these thought-provoking lectures, you will look at feminism as a perspective that allows human flourishing. By looking at the Bible from this angle, you will gain fresh insights into biblical stories and characters. You will begin by exploring Genesis and parables of female godliness, which contain models for mutuality and harmony. You will also see Mary, the Mother of Jesus, as a woman called to a prophetic vocation.
Then, you will encounter two fascinating figures: the Canaanite woman and the so-called “sinful” woman who anoints Jesus. Next, you will look at ministering women and female apostles, including Phoebe, Mary Magdalene, Junia, and others. Finally, you will consider the implications of the stories of Mary and Martha, as well as Jesus’ Passion, Death, and Resurrection.
Embark on this fascinating exploration today.
*Photo © Hriana | Dreamstime.com
**Lecture content drawn from Barbara E. Reid, O.P., Wisdom's Feast: An Invitation to Feminist Interpretation of the Scriptures (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2016) used with permission from Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Learn More About This Professor
Sr. Barbara E. Reid, O.P., Ph.D., is Vice President, Academic Dean, and Professor of New Testament Studies at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago. A Dominican sister of Grand Rapids, Sr. Reid holds a Ph.D. in Biblical Studies from The Catholic University of America, as well as an M.A. in Religious Studies and a B.A. from Aquinas College. She is immediate past President of the Catholic Biblical Association of America.
Sr. Reid is the author of Wisdom’s Feast: An Invitation to Feminist Interpretation of the Scriptures (Eerdmans Press, 2016), Abiding Word: Sunday Reflections (3 volumes; Liturgical Press, 2011-2013), Taking Up the Cross: New Testament Interpretations Through Latina and Feminist Eyes (Fortress Press, 2007), The Gospel According to Matthew: New Collegeville Bible Commentary Series (Liturgical Press, 2005), Parables for Preachers (3 volumes; Liturgical Press, 1999-2001), and Choosing the Better Part? Women in the Gospel of Luke (Liturgical Press, 1996). She is general editor for a new 58-volume feminist commentary on the Bible, The Wisdom Commentary Series (Liturgical Press), of which the first three volumes appeared in November 2015. She has also led many study trips and retreat...
- Sophia’s Table: An Introduction
- The Creation of Woman and Man
- The Entry of Sin into the World
- Parables of Female Godliness
- Mary, the Mother of Jesus as Prophet of a New Creation
- A Canaanite Woman Who Won’t Take “No”
- A Woman Who Loves Lavishly
- Deacon Phoebe and Other Ministering Women
- Women Apostles: Mary Magdalene, Junia, and Others
- Conflicts Over Women’s Ministry
- Taking Up the Cross
- Through Death to Birthing New Life