This is the Genesis course you’ve always wanted. Engaging, thought-provoking, and humorous, this delightful course promises fresh insights into the Bible’s second most popular book.
Genesis contains some of the most familiar stories of the entire Old Testament, and it features some of the most unforgettable characters in all of history: Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham and Sarah, Jacob and his wives Rachel and Leah, and their twelve sons, including the famous Joseph.
However, Genesis also contains perplexing mysteries of the Bible.
Through this brilliantly taught series, you’ll survey Genesis’ contents and its historical context in biblical and ancient history. Look at the fascinating cycles of stories surrounding the central characters of Abraham and Sarah, Jacob and his wives Rachel and Leah, and Joseph while seeking answers to biblical mysteries.
You will consider a wide range of opinions about the various aspects of the stories of Genesis in order to deepen your appreciation and enjoyment when reading this fascinating book.
If you have ever wanted to grasp a deeper understanding of Genesis, this unique new course is for you.
***This course was previously titled "Genesis"
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Daniel L. Smith-Christopher is a professor of Old Testament studies at Loyola Marymount University, where he has taught for 18 years. He earned his doctorate in Old Testament studies at Oxford University in England, and has published 13 books and dozens of articles.
Professor Smith-Christopher was appointed by Cardinal Roger Mohoney as a permanent consultant to the Theological Commission of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. He is one of the most popular presenters each year at the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Religious Educational Congress. Named in 2006 "Undergraduate Theology Teacher of the Year" by Augsburg/Fortress Press, and in 2007, "Professor of the Year" by the Associated Students of Loyola Marymount University, Dr. Christopher is a celebrated teacher and internationally respected Bible expert.
Dr. Christopher has published 13 books and dozens of scholarly articles and reviews in Biblical studies. His most recent books include an academic work called A Biblical Theology of Exile . He appears regularly on television in documentaries broadcast by A&E, Discovery, The History Channel, The National Geographic Network, and PBS.
- Introduction to the Study of Genesis
- The Creation Stories and Their Context
- The First Families and the First Mistakes
- The Flood Stories and Their Context
- The Peopling of the Earth and an Introduction to the Patriarchs and Matriarchs of Ancient Israel
- Abraham and Sarah
- From Abraham to Jacob the Trickster
- Jacob, Esau, and the Genesis Hope for Peace
- Dinah and Tamar: One Woman is Silenced and Another Woman Strikes Back
- The Joseph Novella: The Classic Diaspora Story
- The Religion of Genesis
- Genesis in Historical Critical Context