'Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.'
These words come from one of the most recognized prayers in the world, 'A Prayer for Peace.' Recent custom attributes them to St. Francis, the saint whose legacy leads thousands to pray. Although it is unlikely that St. Francis authored this popular prayer, the Franciscan tradition of prayer is similarly humble and eloquent.
In this series, Fr. Murray Bodo explores the uniqueness of Franciscan Prayer, as well as its continuity with the Judeo-Christian traditions of prayer. Using the life and prayers of St. Francis, as well as his admonitions and writings on how we are to pray, Fr. Bodo treats the ten movements of Franciscan Prayer.
With Fr. Bodo you will explore how the young St. Francis's imprisonment and subsequent reversal of his ambition to be a knight led to his becoming an interior person, how he learned that the way to God is the way God came to us in the Incarnation, and how St. Francis's prayer for identification with the Crucified Christ resulted in the sacred stigmata.
Discover the beauty and spirit of Franciscan Prayer through Fr. Bodo's enriching 12 25-minute lecture course.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Your presenter is Fr. Murray Bodo, O.F.M., Ph.D., a Franciscan Priest and a member of the Franciscan Academy. He earned a Ph.D. in English from the University of Cincinnati and taught English and American Literature and the craft of writing for 36 years. The author of 23 books, including the best-selling, Francis: The Journey and the Dream, and his recent works, Mystics: Ten Who Show us the Ways of God and Song of the Sparrow: New Poems and Meditations. His poems, stories and articles have appeared in magazines and literary journals. Fr. Murray resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, and spends three months of the year in Assisi, Italy, as a staff member of Franciscan Pilgrimage Programs. We recommend Fr. Murray's book, Mystics: Ten Who Show Us the Ways of God, which can be purchased at www.SAMPBooks.org. Photo by Jack Wintz, OFM.
- The Nature of Prayer
- Reversal and Interiority
- Prayer as the Language of Incarnation
- Prayer as the Gestures Our Lives Make
- Clare of Assisi: Mirror of God
- The Portiuncula: The House of Mary
- Prayer and Reconciliation
- The Incarnation and Gratiot
- Prayer and Transformation: La Verna
- Praise and Reconciliation: The Canticle of the Creatures
- The Canticle of the Creatures Continued
- Conclusion: The Death and Resurrection