This course is designed to transport you into the heart of a strange and wonderful world—the world of Medieval Europe.
You’ll explore some of the most powerful theological ideas, economic tensions, and political struggles that shaped Western Civilization.
Join teaching award winner and celebrated Church history author Christopher Bellitto for a truly unforgettable journey. We highly recommend this course.
This series traces western European civilization—with detours to the east—from the transformation of the Roman Empire to a thousand-year medieval period that started slowly before 1000, flowered for 300 years, and then declined sharply with the Black Death and social revolts until Constantinople fell in 1453 and Columbus sailed in 1492. Explore Charlemagne’s renaissance, agricultural and commercial revolutions, new types of religious life introduced by spiritual masters from Benedict to Francis, dynastic wars and courtly literature.
Now available as either an audio program or as a richly illustrated video program, you can enjoy this series in your home or car. See the famous art, architecture and figures of medieval Europe while learning from a truly outstanding Church history professor.
You will treasure this course as a timeless resource for understanding the people and events that shaped our faith, art, medicine, literature and government. Encounter famous historical and literary figures such as Mohammed, Augustine, Richard the Lionhearted and King Arthur, in their own historical context. You’ll understand how the Middle Ages fit within the broader historical timeline of Europe and the rest of the world.
This course promises to delight and amaze you.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Christopher M. Bellitto is Associate Professor of History at Kean University. A celebrated Church historian, he is also a frequent public speaker and media commentator on Church history and contemporary Catholicism. He has been quoted in the New York Times, the Washington Post, et al., and has appeared on The History Channel, CNN, MSNBC, PBS NewsHour, NPR, and other local radio and TV stations. He is the author of eight books and the co-editor of six others, and his writing has been honored by the American Catholic Historical Association and the Catholic Press Association.
He received an M.A. and a Ph.D. in History from Fordham University. His B.A., magna cum laude, is from New York University, where he was a University Scholar.
- Where in World History are the Middle Ages?
- Rome Transformed: Byzantium, Vikings, and Islam
- Charlemagne’s Renaissance
- Feudalism, Peasant Life, and an Agricultural Revolution
- Commercial Revolution: A Gothic City Landscape
- The Papacy on the Rise
- Twelfth-Century Renaissance: An Intellectual Revolution
- Knights, Chivalry, and Castles
- Crusades: Jews, Christians, and Muslims
- Black Death
- Europe at the End of the Middle Ages