God declared creation good. But the debate raging about creation in recent decades has been anything but.
If you have ever gotten lost in the storm of controversy surrounding the creationism debate, then Fr. Michael Guinan's grounding instruction is your key to understanding.
Do you believe in evolution or creation? Is man created in the image of God or the image of an ape? Should "creation science" be taught in public schools science classes? These are controversial issues in America today. They grab headlines and stir up emotions, but often little progress is made in conveying key information. And how should a Catholic understand these issues?
The controversy, "evolution vs. creation", is actually part of a much larger conflict, one may even call it a "culture-war", but it becomes clear rather quickly that a key role is played throughout by a particular understanding of the Bible (popularly called "fundamentalist") and what it teaches. Is evolution actually in competition with Genesis?
In this course, you will see that the "science vs. religion" struggle on this issue is ultimately a false one. Other ways express more adequately the relationship between these two important and interrelated areas. After setting out some initial perspectives and surveying briefly three challenges from the past (Galileo, the rise of modern geology and the age of the earth, and biology and evolution as represented by Charles Darwin), we will survey the "evolution vs. creation" controversy as it has been played out in the United States in the 20th century.
This course provides the Catholic perspective of this heated topic, an essential resource in the 21st century world that is flooded with inaccurate media. You will find Fr. Guinan's teaching excellent and the information priceless.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Michael D. Guinan, O.F.M (Ph.D., Catholic University of America) is a Franciscan priest and a Professor Emeritus at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, Ca. He has published 10 books, several pamphlets and many articles in publications such as The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, The Collegeville Bible Commentary, and The Message of Biblical Spirituality series. He has taught the Old Testament, Hebrew and Aramaic languages, and biblical spirituality at St. Bonaventure University, St. Patrick's Seminary and the Franciscan Seminary in Manila.
Praise for Michael Guinan
“I first attended a lecture by Father Guinan about 20 years ago and immediately recognized him as a great teacher. .He brings top-notch scholarship, excellent delivery, and a strong pastoral sense to every project. Teaching in the Philippines has given him a very broad vision.”
– Father Pat McCloskey, O.F.M., “Ask a Franciscan” columnist for St. Anthony Messenger
“Fr. Michael Guinan is a great communicator and one of those teachers who is able to assimilate a lot of material… and communicate it all in a concise, clear, and often humorous way. It is no wonder that he is a very popular teacher in the NYKM series.”
– Fr. Robert J. Karris, O.F.M., Research Professor, Franciscan Institute, St. Bonaventure University
- Introduction: The Problem
- Evolution on Trial: Phase I
- Evolution on Trial: Phase II
- The Bible and Creation: Part I
- The Bible and Creation: Part II
- Image of God or Image of an Ape?
- Adam, Eve and Original Sin
- Noah and the Flood
- Relevant Church Teaching