Paul the Apostle was instrumental in creating the Christian Church. Now, you can discover how he cultivated the early Church and electrified audiences throughout the world.
In this special series by Jesuit scholar and gifted teacher, Fr. Thomas Stegman, you will encounter Paul the pastor as never before. Whether you are seeking new insights into Church history and the Bible or simply wish to deepen your faith, you will find this course invaluable. By learning about Christianity’s most famous pastor, you will gain new insights into the Church today.
Commenting on Fr. Stegman’s written work, Fr. Gerald O'Collins, former Dean of Theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University said, “A blessing offered to the whole Church, Tom Stegman’s commentary presents the heart of St. Paul’s message.” Indeed, Fr. Stegman’s excellent presentations will help you understand the life and letters of St. Paul as never before.
Find out how Paul understood himself as a pastor. What formative experiences influenced his self-understanding and ministry? What were the principal theological and Christological ideas that inspired and guided his work? How did Paul understand life in the Spirit and the Spirit’s significance for individuals and local communities? How did he bring theology and spirituality to bear on particular questions and crises that arose in his churches?
In this series of twelve lectures, Fr. Stegman answers these and many other questions about the theme of Paul as pastor. You will gain tremendous insight into this most important Christian saint, apostle, and pastor.
***This series was previously titled Saint Paul as Pastor.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Rev. Thomas D. Stegman, S.J. is Associate Professor of New Testament and Professor Ordinarius in the ecclesiastical faculty of the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. He earned his B.A. in philosophy from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, his M.A., as in philosophy, from Marquette University, his M.Div. and S.T.L. from Weston Jesuit School of Theology, his Ph.D. under Luke Timothy Johnson at Emory University.
- Setting the Stage
- The Portrayal in Acts: An Overture of Themes
- Paul's Self-Understanding; His Missionary and Pastoral Strategy
- Paul's Pastoral Theology: The Revelation of God's Love
- Life in the Spirit: Empowered to Become the Body of Christ
- The Ministry of Reconciliation
- Paul on Fundraising
- Suffering and Christian Hope
- Protecting the Truth; Responding to Falsehood
- The Role of Women in Church and Ministry
- Appreciation and Cultivation of Co-Workers; Looking Back
- Applying the Gospel to the 'Nitty Gritty'