Did you know that only the Gospel of Luke contains the parables of the Good Samaritan and The Prodigal Son, the stories of Mary and Elizabeth in the infancy narratives, and the resurrection appearance to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus?
With its themes of Jesus' all-inclusive compassion, healing, and forgiveness, Luke’s Gospel has always magnetized Christians. This unforgettable series of 12 expertly delivered talks will bring Luke’s Gospel to life in your heart and mind.
You will begin by exploring the historical setting of Luke’s life and writing. Come to understand Jesus' healing mission as He mends broken bodies as signs of the in-breaking of the reign of God. Next, explore Jesus' ministry of forgiveness, as exemplified in the story of a paralyzed man and in His own words of pardon from the cross.
Then, gain new understanding as you explore the parables retold in Luke. Next, investigate Jesus' inclusive mission as He welcomes all kinds of people at the table and explore the ways in which Luke features female disciples. Finally, look at Luke's themes of fulfillment of Scripture and the Empowering Spirit, which Jesus bestows on His followers.
The Lucan Jesus takes on the persona of a prophet from the moment He announces His public ministry in the synagogue at Nazareth. More than any other evangelist, Luke stresses Jesus' prayerfulness. Join Sr. Reid in discovering the powerful words of the Gospel of Luke today.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Barbara E. Reid is Vice President, Academic Dean, and Professor of the New Testament at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago. A Dominican sister, Sr. Reid first began her long-standing interest in the Gospel of Luke began while earning her Ph.D. at the Catholic University of America.
Sr. Reid is the author of Choosing the Better Part?: Women in the Gospel of Luke, The Parables for Preachers: The Gospel of Mark, A Retreat with St. Luke, and numerous articles. Her most recent book is Taking Up the Cross: New Testament Interpretations Through Latina and Feminist Eyes. She is general editor for The Wisdom Commentary Series, and she is currently writing Sophia's Table: An Introduction to Feminist Biblical Interpretation, forthcoming from Eerdmans Press.
- Luke and His Community
- Birthing Hope
- Healing Broken Bodies and Spirits
- Forgiveness in Word and Deed
- Preaching in Parables: Sowing Subversive Seeds
- Provocative Images of God
- All Are Welcome
- Women Disciples
- Rich and Poor
- Jesus the Rejected Prophet
- Prayer and Prophetic Obedience
- Fulfillment of Scripture and Empowering Spirit