It is impossible to overstate the power of right discernment.
Drawn from his Spiritual Exercises, spiritual discernment is one of St. Ignatius Loyola's most enduring legacies. Now you can explore Ignatius' discernment method with one of the world's leading Jesuit spirituality masters as your guide.
Grounded in the centuries of Jesuit scholarship and decades of teaching and spiritual direction experience, Fr. Joe Tetlow clearly explains the theory and practice of discernment. When leading Jesuits have questions about Jesuit spirituality, they go to Fr. Tetlow. Now, we bring Fr. Tetlow's distilled wisdom on discernment to you.
See how, through Ignatian spirituality and discernment, you can better seek the God who is acting in every moment. Through this series, you will explore spiritual discernment as both a way of life and a set of processes. You'll explore regular prayer, worship in community, and life examination.
Follow a process of discernment that goes well beyond "what one ought to do." Through real incidents in real (but disguised) lives, Fr. Tetlow illustrates how Ignatian discernment furnishes a compass for living and a proven way of coming to holy choices and secure decisions.
**This course was previously titled Discerning God's Will in the World.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Rev. Joseph Allen Tetlow, S.J., is considered one of the world’s leading experts on Ignatian spirituality and a world-renowned spiritual director. He served in Rome for 8 years as Secretariat for Ignatian Spirituality on the Jesuit General’s staff. He had earlier been dean of Loyola University in New Orleans and President of the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley. He was associate editor of the Jesuit weekly magazine, America
Rev. Tetlow is the former director of Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House at Lake Dallas, Texas, and he is currently professor emeritus and writer-in-residence at Saint Louis University. He received a doctorate from Brown University, and he has served on the Board of Directors of SLU, the University of Seattle, and Harvard's Institute for Educational Management. Rev. Joseph Tetlow has written numerous articles and books, including Ignatius Loyola: Spiritual Exercises, Choosing Christ in the World, and Making Choices in Christ.
- The Person Who Discerns
- The First Discernment: Knowing the God of Gods
- The Second Discernment: Jesus Christ is My Lord
- The Four Ways
- Ignatian Discernment and 'Spirits'
- Discernment as the Process of Finding God's Will
- Consolation and Hope
- Of Spiritual Desolation
- Discernment and Conscience
- Hope-Filled Enactment: The Final Step in Ignatian Discernment
- Sophisticated Tool and Some Handy Applications