St. John of the Cross is one of the most inspiring figures in the history of Christianity: a saint of profound faith, a compelling mystic, and an immensely gifted poet. Now, you can explore the life, teachings, writings, and reflections of St. John of the Cross.
John of the Cross is perhaps the most famous of the incredibly faithful group of Christians known as mystics. A gentle and compassionate figure, John was not only a Carmelite priest but an eloquent poet and author as well. Under the guidance of leading Carmelite spirituality expert Prof. Keith Egan, you will explore the life and works of St. John of the Cross. In doing so, you will understand the rich history of the Christian mystical tradition. Through John’s writings, you will gain a deep appreciation for this great Doctor of the Church who inspires Christians to pray and love as God intended.
John’s conversion is a powerful story of doubt, passion, struggle, and ultimately enduring faith. As you journey from John’s encounters with Teresa of Avila to his nine-month imprisonment in Spain, you will encounter a truly fascinating saint. You will also explore John’s poems and writings, which tell of his profound encounters with God.
As you encounter the deepest hopes, fears, and emotions of St. John of the Cross, you will come to know personally this Carmelite friar whose gentle compassion continues to inspire us.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Keith J. Egan is the former President of the Carmelite Institute (2007—2012) and the current Aquinas Chair in Catholic Theology Emeritus at Saint Mary’s College, where, in 1984, he founded the college’s Center for Spirituality. Dr. Egan’s doctorate is from the University of Cambridge, England. He lectures widely and has published extensively on Christian spirituality and mysticism as well as on Carmelite spirituality to audiences in North America, Ireland, England and Rome. Dr. Egan has been a charter lecturer of the North American Carmelite Forum and a corresponding fellow of the Institutum Carmelitanum in Rome.
- The Weaver’s Son
- John of the Cross Becomes a Carmelite
- The Encounter with Teresa of Avila
- John and Teresa Collaborate on Reform
- John of the Cross: Prisoner
- John of the Cross: Escapee
- John of the Cross: Spiritual Guide
- John of the Cross: Sojourn in Andalusia
- John of the Cross: Poet
- Love is as Strong as Death
- The Dark Night According to John of the Cross
- From the Search for the Hidden Christ to the Manifestation of Christ’s Beauty
- “How Gently and Lovingly You Awake in my Heart”
- How to Read John of the Cross
- John of the Cross Prays Matins in Heaven