This program consists of five short courses on each of the vital books that make up the Pentateuch with a free short course on the Book of Job.
The first five books of the Old Testament, known as the Pentateuch, are among the most foundational texts ever written. Forming the Torah of Moses, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy composed the center of Jewish law. These books had a profound influence on the Gospel writers, and they continue to speak to us today.
In The Pentateuch: Exploring the Bible’s First Five Books
, you will understand both the historical and spiritual importance of these books. Join renowned Old Testament scholar Fr. Michael D. Guinan, O.F.M., on this fascinating journey through the Hebrew Bible.
First, encounter Genesis, exploring the lessons the Lord has taught us through its creation narrative. Next, in Exodus, understand how the concept of exodus relates to your own spiritual journey. Then, in Job, learn how suffering and sadness can help you grow with faith in the Lord. In Leviticus, take a closer look at a book that contains almost no narrative, examining its importance in the Torah. In Numbers, discover the importance of faith in the face of hardships. Finally, in Deuteronomy, explore law and fidelity in the holy covenant.
By delving deeply into the Pentateuch, you will explore its historical importance and centrality in Jewish law while deepening your understanding of the Bible in your own spiritual life.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Michael D. Guinan, O.F.M (Ph.D., Catholic University of America) is a Franciscan priest and a Professor Emeritus at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, Ca. He has published 10 books, several pamphlets and many articles in publications such as The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, The Collegeville Bible Commentary, and The Message of Biblical Spirituality series. He has taught the Old Testament, Hebrew and Aramaic languages, and biblical spirituality at St. Bonaventure University, St. Patrick's Seminary and the Franciscan Seminary in Manila.
Praise for Michael Guinan
“I first attended a lecture by Father Guinan about 20 years ago and immediately recognized him as a great teacher. .He brings top-notch scholarship, excellent delivery, and a strong pastoral sense to every project. Teaching in the Philippines has given him a very broad vision.”
– Father Pat McCloskey, O.F.M., “Ask a Franciscan” columnist for St. Anthony Messenger
“Fr. Michael Guinan is a great communicator and one of those teachers who is able to assimilate a lot of material… and communicate it all in a concise, clear, and often humorous way. It is no wonder that he is a very popular teacher in the NYKM series.”
– Fr. Robert J. Karris, O.F.M., Research Professor, Franciscan Institute, St. Bonaventure University
- The Book of Genesis: Part 1
- The Book of Genesis: Part 2
- The Book of Genesis: Part 3
- The Book of Exodus: Part 1
- The Book of Exodus: Part 2
- The Book of Exodus: Part 3
- The Book of Leviticus, Part 1
- The Book of Leviticus, Part 2
- The Book of Leviticus, Part 3
- The Book of Numbers, Part 1
- The Book of Numbers, Part 2
- The Book of Numbers, Part 3
- The Book of Deuteronomy, Part 1
- The Book of Deuteronomy, Part 2
- The Book of Deuteronomy, Part 3
- The Book of Job: Part 1
- The Book of Job: Part 2
- The Book of Job: Part 3