Deep in our hearts is the desire for intimacy with God.
This desire finds its expression in prayer and is as urgent now as it was in the days of Great Saint Teresa, the Spanish Carmelite of the 16th century, who was quickly canonized and who, in 1970, became the first woman Doctor of the Church.
Ever since Jesus was asked to teach us to pray, Christianity has produced great teachers of prayer. One of the most eminent of these teachers of prayer is Teresa of Avila, the wise mystic who captured the imagination of those seeking God in her own time, and in ours.
Leading Carmelite scholar and engaging teacher Professor Keith Egan will carefully guide you through Teresa’s teaching about prayer—ordinary and mystical—meditation, and contemplation. Through these 12 graceful talks, you will come to more fully understand prayer as Teresa did, as an “exercise in love.”
Teresa of Jesus, as she was known, was a stunning storyteller whose profound books share her innermost struggles to grow in prayer and contemplation. Now you can encounter Teresa and her moving words with grace and understanding.
From this unique series, you come to know the life, ideas and mysticism of this extraordinary saint and great teacher of prayer. Teresa’s wisdom will stir your heart and intensify your desire for God and God’s lavish love.
Walk with Teresa as she shares her story of prayer.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Keith J. Egan is the former President of the Carmelite Institute (2007—2012) and the current Aquinas Chair in Catholic Theology Emeritus at Saint Mary’s College, where, in 1984, he founded the college’s Center for Spirituality. Dr. Egan’s doctorate is from the University of Cambridge, England. He lectures widely and has published extensively on Christian spirituality and mysticism as well as on Carmelite spirituality to audiences in North America, Ireland, England and Rome. Dr. Egan has been a charter lecturer of the North American Carmelite Forum and a corresponding fellow of the Institutum Carmelitanum in Rome.
- Teresa of Avila: A Woman for All Seasons
- Teresa: A Life Searching for God
- Teresa: A New Book, A New Life
- Teresa: A Prophetic Carmelite
- Teresa on the Prayer of “The Four Waters”
- Teresa on the Prayer of Recollection
- Teresa on Developing a Contemplative Disposition
- Teresa: A Mystic’s Mystic
- Teresa on Spousal Mysticism
- Teresa’s The Interior Castle
- How to Read Teresa of Jesus
- Gathering Up Teresa’s Fragments