To “put out into the deep”—whether in reference to interpersonal relationships, fishing or professional decisions—always entails risk, exploration and commitment.
This retreat locates the well-known phrase in a faith context, providing practical answers for tapping into the depths of Catholic teaching. It is designed for those in search of a bold new approach to growing in their relationship to God that is, at the same time, steeped in scripture and tradition.
Using the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola, Fr. Cain and Ms. Blass provide complementary insights from their respective backgrounds, as they share their diverse knowledge. Their combined guidance results in a multi-faceted program that is sure to deepen your faith life.
A few questions that these two experts will deal with are: How is risk involved in one’s spiritual growth and journey? How do I know what God desires for me? What about my own desires? Compassion will act as a focal point throughout the course, as you explore the kind of freely-given love that only God can offer. Forgiveness will also be explored as a great grace, which leads one more fully into true freedom and into communion with God.
Under the guidance of these seasoned teachers, you will walk with Christ, to unveil how your desires and hopes, fears and confusion are either enhancing or preventing your life-long journey with Him. Join these two sage voices in conversation today.
Photo courtesy of Dr. Virginia Blass
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Rev. Harry Cain, S.J., brings a lifetime of ministry in spiritual direction and retreat work to his teaching. Rev. James Martin, S.J., best-selling author of The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything and My Life with the Saints, said, “Harry Cain, S.J., is one of my favorite Jesuit spiritual directors: awake, attentive, and aware. Years ago he helped me through a tough time with his wise advice and caring manner. To listen to these tapes is to listen to a truly gifted spiritual guide.”
Rev. Cain has served as national director of the Movement for a Better World team, with whom he preached throughout the U.S. from 1970 to 1974. His preaching style is known for its wit, wisdom, and humor. He is a Jesuit of the New England Province and was ordained in 1963.
Virginia Blass, D.Min., has more than 25 years of experience in retreat ministry and teaching special needs students. Her latest book is Becoming Like the Beloved. She is also the author of Loaves and Fishes: From Faith Experience to Empowered Community, which addresses social outreach and discernment issues related to rural parish life.
To this end, Ms. Blass founded a non-profit charitable organization called Concordia to make retreat direction more accessible to rural parishes.
- Setting Sail into the Deep
- Putting Out into the Deep: Conversion
- Long, Loving Look at the Real (from the late Walter Burghardt, S.J.)
- The Leap of Faith
- The Gift of Forgiveness
- Hitting with Reluctance, the Wall of the Deep
- The One Most Ready to Respond
- The Discovery of Our Authentic Desires
- The Depths of Compassion
- Meeting the Unrecognized Healer
- Meeting the Unrecognized Consoler
- Wisdom from St. Ignatius for the Ongoing Journey