Come join one of our most beloved presenters on this sublime retreat.
The psalms are “the masterwork of prayer in the Old Testament” and they “remain essential to the prayer of the Church… They are suitable for people of every condition and time” (Catechism of the Catholic Church #2585-86, 2597). From the very beginning of the Church’s history, the psalms have played a central role for believers. Now, you can discover the Book of Psalms anew through this carefully crafted audio retreat.
Composed of 150 beautiful prayers, the Book of Psalms is an immense and integral part of the Old Testament. You might be overwhelmed or unsure of where to start when praying the Psalms. In A Retreat with the Psalms, Fr. Guinan, O.F.M., Ph.D., a renowned Old Testament scholar, expertly guides you through these timeless works. In this retreat, you will follow the model provided by the Divine Office.
You will begin with an introduction to the Office, especially the Morning and Evening Prayer. Each of these has two psalm readings, and they are organized into a four-week cycle. The psalms are carefully selected and structured according to the days of the week. This retreat comes with an accompanying written guide for prayer and reflection, and it is ideal for both communal and individual prayer settings. It perfectly complements Fr. Guinan’s previous course, The Psalms: A Model and Guide to Prayer, which provides a broad and scholarly introduction to the Psalms.
In A Retreat with the Psalms, you will both discover the vitality of the psalms and deepen your relationship with God through prayer.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Michael D. Guinan, O.F.M (Ph.D., Catholic University of America) is a Franciscan priest and a Professor of Old Testament, Semitic Languages and Biblical Spirituality at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, Ca. He has published 10 books, several pamphlets and many articles in publications such as The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, The Collegeville Bible Commentary, and The Message of Biblical Spirituality series. He has taught the Old Testament, Hebrew and Aramaic languages, and biblical spirituality at St. Bonaventure University, St. Patrick's Seminary and the Franciscan Seminary in Manila.
- Introduction: A Retreat with the Psalms Through the Divine Office
- The Psalms and the Key to the Mansion
- Monday—Psalms 5, 29, 15
- Tuesday—Psalms 24, 42-43, 65
- Wednesday—Psalms 36, 47, 27
- Thursday—Psalms 57, 32, 72
- Friday—Psalms 51, 46
- Saturday—Psalms 119:145-52; 92, 117, 8
- Sunday—Psalms 113, 63, 110, 148, 149, 150