With gifted professor, author and contemplative retreat leader Fr. Donald Goergen, O.P. as your guide, explore the spiritual insights of four great spiritual masters with this one-of-a-kind retreat experience.
This 24-conference series is designed to capture your spiritual imagination and deepen your life with Christ.
What You Will Experience
Deepen your Christian life with the guidance of four diverse yet complementary 20th Century spiritual masters: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Thomas Merton, Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta and Blessed Pope John Paul II.
Spend 6 conferences with each spiritual master. Each 6-part series is grounded in themes and writings of that particular spiritual master, and can be used as a retreat by itself.
These four spiritual masters endured the cost of discipleship and became more conformed to Christ through his or her own distinctive calling. Teilhard was a scientist but also a mystic with a cosmic vision. Merton was perhaps the most prominent Catholic American spiritual writer of the 20th Century. A monk and seeker, he was restless, deeply contemplative, socially conscious and always writing. Mother Teresa’s spirituality was oriented toward the poor. Acutely aware of the gospel’s commands, grounded in her commitment to Christ and devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, she saw herself as a mystic of darkness. The final mystic in the series is Pope John Paul II, who lived a providential life indeed. A defender of human dignity for all, he has become a symbol of hope, of the potential of the human spirit, and of the transformative power of grace.
All four share these last qualities despite their different calls. Let these four spiritual masters accompany you and offer wise guidance in your journey to eternal life.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Learn More About This Professor
Donald Goergen, O.P., Ph.D., is a Dominican priest, teacher, lecturer, and author. He has published many articles and ten books in the areas of Christology and Christian Spirituality. His most recent book was Fire of Love: Encountering the Holy Spirit. He has taught, lectured and given retreats in Asia, Africa, and throughout North America. He was previously Provincial for the Dominican Friars of the Central Province as well as President of the Dominican Leadership Conference. He co-founded the Dominican Ashram, a contemplative Dominican community and ministry of prayer, in which he lived for nine years. He previously taught and currently teaches at the Aquinas Institute of Theology in St. Louis, MO, where he is also prior of the formation community. His doctorate is in systematic theology, his dissertation on Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and his current interests include contemplative traditions, East and West, the evolution of consciousness, and the thought of Thomas Aquinas as a spiritual master. Among other honors awarded him, he is the recipient of the 2010 Yves Congar Award from Barry University in Miami.
Praise for Donald Goergen
“The finest professor with whom I have h...
- Series One: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)
- Creation and Evolution
- A World-Affirming Spirituality
- The Cosmic Christ
- The Eucharist
- Christ and the Universe
- Series Two: Thomas Merton (1915-1968)
- The Philosophy of Solitude
- New Seeds of Contemplation
- Mystics; Zen; Chuang Tzu
- Passion for Peace
- The Letters of Thomas Merton
- The Vision in Louisville
- Series Three: Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997)
- The Poorest of the Poor
- Mystic of Darkness
- In the Heart of Mary
- Radiating Christ – Sharing the Passion
- Missionary of Charity
- A Personal Reminiscence
- Series Four: Blessed Pope John Paul II (1920-2005)
- The Holy Spirit: Dominum et Vivificantem
- Social Concerns: Sollicitudo Rei Socialis
- Christ, Mediator: Redemptoris Missio
- The Gospel of Life: Evangelium Vitae
- Faith and Reason: Fides et Ratio
- A Life Reviewed