Some mysteries of our faith can only be experienced. God has touched some people in a special way so they are able to tell us deeper and more holy things about God and ourselves. We call them mystics.
Mystics experience God's presence in very tangible and sometimes graphic ways. Their experiences confirm Christians' belief that we truly are temples of the living God.
Through these remarkable 12 lectures by leading Franciscan intellectual and poet Fr. Murray Bodo, you will explore the deep mysteries of mysticism. Through the original words of 10 mystics, Fr. Murray shows you the nature of the mystical experience and demonstrates the relevance of mystical words and experiences to our Faith.
God chose to reveal himself through a variety of people. Intellectuals, poets, hermits, radicals, and even the unwed teenage Mary, were touched by God in a mystical way. You will learn the legacy of these five men and five women mystics.
These souls all have God's revelation in common. His intimate presence to the mystics prove his ongoing communication with us in every age.
Learn about downloadable programs.
Your Free Electronic Study Guide! When you order this course, we will send you a free electronic study guide that you can access in 3 convenient ways:
1) You can check your order confirmation email. It will include a link that enables you to download your guide.
2) The back of your program package also contains a copy of this link. You can access your guide by simply entering this URL into your browser.
3) Your case of CDs or DVDs will contain a copy of your electronic guide on CD. Simply insert this disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive to access your guide.
About Your Presenter
Your presenter is Fr. Murray Bodo, O.F.M., Ph.D., a Franciscan Priest and a member of the Franciscan Academy. He earned a Ph.D. in English from the University of Cincinnati and taught English and American Literature and the craft of writing for 36 years. The author of 23 books, including the best-selling, Francis: The Journey and the Dream, and his recent works, Mystics: Ten Who Show us the Ways of God and Song of the Sparrow: New Poems and Meditations. His poems, stories and articles have appeared in magazines and literary journals. Fr. Murray resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, and spends three months of the year in Assisi, Italy, as a staff member of Franciscan Pilgrimage Programs. We recommend Fr. Murray's book, Mystics: Ten Who Show Us the Ways of God, which can be purchased at www.SAMPBooks.org. Photo by Jack Wintz, OFM.
- Mary, the First Christian Mystic
- Francis of Assisi, The Mirror of Christ
- Julian of Norwich, Anchoress and Visionary of God's Goodness
- Jacopone da Todi, Poet of the Madness of God
- St. Catherine of Siena, The Body as the Cell of God
- St. John of the Cross, Mystic of the Dark Night
- St. Therese of Lisieux, Anti-Mystic of the Little Way
- Gerard Manley Hopkins, The Mysticism of Words
- Simone Weil, Affliction and the Mystical Way
- Robert Lax, Hermit and Mystic of Patient Waiting